Friday, August 27, 2010

ZERMATT, SWITZERLAND AUG 21-24




ZERMATT



In Zermatt we got a room at the worlds most expensive hostel, 200 dollars for a room for 2, with dinner and breakfast. Zermatt is an expensive and touristy town, but a must for mountain lovers. Kim and I stayed here in 2004. Got no sleep with Mike`s snoring. The first thing we did was rent Via Ferrata equipment to climb the local klettersteig. You get a harness, two straps and carabiners are used to clip in to the metal cable. Only unclip one at a time so you are always protected. This course took over 4 hours, long but easier than Engelberg and Leysin`s klettersteigs. At the first ladder Mike turned around. I ended up following a 9 year old and his Dad, it was tricky passing them as they leaned into the cliff. It`s not easy feeling studly following a 9 year old. The ladders were swinging and hanging. There were narrow wood boards to walk across staring into the void. I was alone and it was quite hot, I used up 2 litres of water. There were 2 steep climbs and lots of traversing along the cliff. There was a shady cave near the top I could finally rest, gazing over the Zermatt valley, a true feeling of alpine bliss!


Here are some pics of the climb



Mikes first klettersteig






We then hiked up to the Schonbielhutte. First we climbed 2300 feet to Trifft, following a river with glaciers above. We stopped for a hot ovomaltine, then continued 4 hours to the hut, racing an oncoming storm. There was a final 1200 foot climb just before the hut at 8840 feet. We got Mike a private room for his snoring. Dinner was festive and delicious, though 75 dollars to sleep and get the 2 meals. We rinsed off with cold water. I slept downstairs to escape the snorer, but people woke me up all night long going to the bathroom. At 3AM I gave up and went back upstairs. Here are some pics from that day














































Racing the oncoming storm


North Face of the Matterhorn and Schonbielhutte:



The next day Mike returned to Zermatt while I went up to the Matterhornhutte (aka Hornlihutte). We dropped 1600 feet together before I climbed 3300 feet on a monster of a steep trail. All I could think about was how to make my pack lighter next time. I was bonking near the top from not eating. I made my own dinner to save money, it cost 35 dollars to stay there, but 8 dollars for a liter bottle of water since there was no water there. The hut is at 10,500 feet. Climbed up a bit using the fixed ropes, but a fall would have been bad so I came down. Slept poorly again, but the next morning I left at 6:40AM, watching the sun rise over the Monte Rosa massif and matterhorn. Truly an alpine bliss experience. It took 2.5 hours to drop 5300 feet back to Zermatt, I was sore for 2 days. Here are the pics from these 2 days:












See the hut on the ridge

Alpine horns in Zermatt



swiss hamlet above zermatt


5 comments:

  1. Awesome photos and video! Sounds like another typical Kevin Super Adventure. I'm jealous again. Maybe I'll come on Europe Adventure # 14. Say hi to Mike F for me.

    --MIKEY--

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool dad! Awesome pics! Sorry about the rain, beautiful pics though! It was fun skyping with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying the mountains and your explorations. All is well here. Have fun.
    -BB

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want to do via ferrata with you dad! your pictures and videos are awesome. keep it up, we love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really enjoyed your Alpine Bliss blog! Great photos and comments! Enjoy!

    Hi Mike!

    Billy B

    ReplyDelete