Saturday, August 28, 2010

TO GRINDELWALD, AUG 25-31




GRINDELWALD
To get to Grindelwald from Zermatt, we used a day pass that AC got us for only 35 dollars. When we got to Spiez, we took a boat across the lake to Interlaken:

Dont take my picture now, Mike


Mike is enjoying his first trip to Europe
The Eiger peaks above the ridge from the Thunersee
Last shot of our boat trip



Grindelwald is one of my favorite places in Switzerland. The majestic Wetterhorn, Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau rise above the town. While Im thinking about it, watch this ski-parasail nut fly down the west ridge of the eiger, the ridge my Dad and I climbed in 1975, then turn right onto the north face at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut1kGmOhzWQ. Anyway, I love this place. Our first few days we had wonderful weather, soon it would be raining and snowing.



We got a 6 day pass to all the lifts, and on a beautiful day, we went up the Mannlichen gondola and walked to Kleine Scheidegg. Here I am almost pointing to the Scheidegg Hotel, where I worked the winter of 1980-81 as a waiter.
Looking down at the beautiful Lauterbrennan valley
Cows, cows, cows everywhere

We met with Tony Wyss, who owns the gift shop at Kleine Scheidegg, he took us to dinner at his restaurant in Grindelwald. He is 61, and snowboards, runs marathons, mountain bikes, flies planes, parasails, paraglides, plays tennis and volleyball, and windsurfs in Egypt on his vacations. Stud!
Sitting in the salon of the hotel where I used to serve drinks


Clint Eastwood filmed the Eiger Sanction here, Frau von Almen, my boss, is the woman next to him.
I made another swiss friend!
Im not sure what this cow is doing, but there is the Eiger and Monch in the background. Dad and I stood on the summit of the Eiger in 1975.
Lauterbrennan Valley, sweet!!
The swiss army practising their drumming
Want to hear them drumming? Of course you do!:


We took the First Gondola, where Kim and I went tandem parasailing in 2004, and got these shots
stitched together 3 photos

We had a great hike to the Schreckhornhutte. It was a true alpine bliss experience, we were aware there was no place in the world we would rather be at that moment, surrounded by wildflowers and glaciers, little avalanches regularly falling from the slopes above. It was a 3500 foot climb to the hut, in 4 hours.
One of the many glaciers behind the Eiger
The first hour of the hike was below tree line
Kim and I hiked here in 2004
The Baregg restaurant reached in the first hour of the hike
There is no place Id rather be than right here, right now. Have you ever felt that?
Mike was feeling the alpine bliss
One of the many glaciers, they are receding due to global warming, we are at about 8000 feet
Mike, looking back down the valley to Grindelwald
I made a friend! Schweinschnitzel anyone?





Video of Mike and the glaciers during our hike

As the trail got higher there was fresh snow from the storm the night before
I saw this beautiful wild Steinbock with magnificent horns
The trail climbed fixed ladders to the left of this glacier, can you see the trail through the snow slanting upward to the right on the left of this picture?
Magnificent alpine paradise
You could hear and then see small avalanches and rockfalls
Fixed ladders helped get you up the steep parts
This was the scary river crossing where Kim and I had a tough time crossing in 2004
Dont travel on glaciers without ropes

After a 3500 foot climb here is the Shreckhornhutte, I had a bowl of soup for 7 dollars
View from the hut

HOPE YOU ENJOYED OUR GRINDELWALD PHOTOS. The next 2 days it rained and rained and rained, leaving fresh snow as low as 5000 feet, in August. Mike left for Munich and Im on my own now. Hope to post a Kandersteg Klettersteig then the Austrian Alps in a week or two. If you are feeling friendly, post a comment!
Aug. 30, 2010



10 comments:

  1. Hey Kev!

    Your posting from Grindelwald was spectacular. I agree that it is one of the best places the world has to offer. The ski-glider video from the peak of the Eiger along the north face is awesome (in the true sense of the word). The beautiful Lauterbrunnen valley from above! There is a similar (but not quite as good) photo of it on my wall which I can see while I write this (touch typing). Cows! Just what I requested! You and the amazing Tony Wyss in the store at Kleine Scheidegg. The salon where you once served drinks. (I remember dining with you and Kim in the restaurant there, and staying in the hotel with you on another trip). Yes we did! (summit the Eiger). The Swiss army guys play their drums! Three stitched shots from the top of the First lift! Alpine Bliss on the way to the Schreckhornhutte. The Baregg restaurant! Pigs! A studly steinbok! What a trip! Your photos are magnificent. Mike had an unforgettable trip with an experienced guide. Thanks for sharing! Love from your old (literally) Swiss hiking buddy, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dad, fantastic photos. And that video of the skier/glider was un-F-ing-Believable (pardon my use of the letter F). Who does that kind of stuff. And what is their expected life span.

    Debbie and I want to hike from Grindelwald to Zermatt. We almost went this year, but funds were tight. We'll do in in a year or two. Dad, you can come. You're not too old yet. We'll stay in nice inns with hot food and hot showers. And wine.

    Kevin, your daughters visited the night before they flew out of LAX to Hawaii. Amber had a lovely new haircut. I think she went to a Marine Corp. barber. Both young women were healthy, happy, well adjusted, and fun to have for the night. Kimber almost beat me in Scrabble. Almost, but not quite.

    Scott turned 20 yesterday and is off to Ireland in a few days for a two week trip with a class from the UW Business School. Christopher returns from Geneva a day later after having spent about 7 weeks in Europe. He must have inherited the First Born genes.

    Keep up the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aloha! Just lost the girls after an amazing two weeks! Perfect timing as I start work this week, hence computer access.. We had lots of adventures and all of us had a great time. Not quite as hair raising as yours but fun none the less.
    I used to have a great friend in Bern, I got nastalgic seeing your pics, actually, I got nastalgic during a few of your posts where I have been. I should look up some of my friends from there. Start lining up some visits...
    Life in Hawaii is great. I have a few more hoops to jump through before I can officially substitute teach, but I have two tutoring programs I am working for, and I am doing a few massages a week. Fortunately, you don't need much to live out here, something I was glad the girl's picked up on- how little you really need to be comfortable and happy.
    Thanks for all the updates, I'm sure the girls will be posting some pics soon.
    Lots of love,
    JR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi JR!

    I picked up the girls from LAX last night about 11 pm and got the quick version of their trip. Sounded like they had a blast with two highlights: (1) Visiting a live lava flow as it hit the water in a mountain of steam (leaving glow sticks in the forest on the way there so you could find your way back at night; a modern day Hansel and Gretel, minus the gingerbread house...although the gingerbread house sounds more stable than some of the structures described to me by K and A; and naked old ladies in the hot water near the lava flow yelling how wonderful life is (not your daughters...I don't think)). (2) Swimming with Spinner Dolphins in a small cove and watching them play underwater with giant leaves. They looked relaxed and happy. I tried to get them to spend the night, but they wanted to drive home in the creaky old Taurus. They promised it was only 8 pm their time. All was good. Jeni, you were a great hostess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey dad! Cool pics! I remember some of those huts and trails, especially the river crossing that was overflowing due to rain! I also remember hiking with Grandad, which meant staying in nice hotels (dont worry Mike, there were flushing toilets) and drinking peppermint tea!

    Life is good, now that I am back from my travels I guess i need to decide what to do with my life! haha thanks for the summery of our trip Mike, pretty accurate. Ya Jeni was great, it was perfect she didnt have to work while we were there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool dad! Again I wish I was with you. When do I get to come???

    Look at my blog for the first-person account of our adventures now that you have mike's spoilers. :P
    www.youngslug.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Bimber, how was I supposed to know you were going to blog anything? You've been so uncharacteristically quiet all these weeks. I didn't want your Dad to get lonely. Sorry if I spoiled the story, but I thought Kevin needed to know about the old naked ladies and the glow sticks. Those were important details.

    (What's this :P? Sticking your tongue out at me? Well :b.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kevin

    It's Oliver, the french guy with the bad knee that you met in Courmayeur. I am now safe at home :)
    Enjoy your tour du mont blanc, I will follow the rest of your trip on your nice blog...
    Keep in touch
    See you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi oliver! have you had any more adventures? did your knee get better? did you do the TMB? best wishes from kevin young

      Delete