Sunday, September 26, 2010

TOUR DU MONT BLANC 2

TMP POSTCARD, STARTED IN CHAMPEX, WENT CLOCKWISE, 105 MILES IN 9 DAYS HIKING (ONE RAIN DAY SO IT TOOK 10 DAYS), SEPT 17-26, 2010

LAST DAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2010, 9TH HIKING DAY, TRIENT TO CHAMPEX

10.5 MILES, UP 3300 FEET, DOWN 2500 FEET, 9AM TO 3PM, 6 HOURS



It rained at night, it was a third cold morning with clouds and no views. I was lucky to get sun the first 6 days. I hike 1 hour up to the Col de la Forclaz, wearing my trusty glove and sock (dont ask). At a hotel at the Col I got a hot chocolate for 4 dollars and 30 cents, welcome to Switzerland. I rose another 1000 feet through woods and pastures covered with snow, the trail would have been buried had I taken the high route across the fenetre d`arpette. I enjoyed the whole day, hiking slowly, noticing more - the berries, the colors, the snow, plants, trees, rivers, alp buildings. I met Emmanuelle along the trail, we were excited to see eachother again, he was another solo hiker I had met in Chapieux, we traded chocolate and banana yogurt and adventure stories. I also saw an Israeli couple who had sat out the last 2 days in Martigny. I hiked in the falling snow instead. The last hour was on roads. I was calm and slower and noticing and appreciating more at the end of this trek. I didnt want it to end. I considered becoming Forrest Gump, and turning around when I got to Champex and doing it again counter clockwise (not). I got to the Jardin Alpin turnoff and felt like raising my arms in triumph, but didnt. I was so full of memories, the scenes of nature, the refuges, the night out, the fellow hikers, the hutkeepers, the languages. I did it! It was hard to believe it was now over. The last 3 days I had no distant views, but enjoyed more than ever close up forest and snow views and experiences.


The book read: "Now is the time to celebrate. Congratulations on having achieved a great walk. Champex is a good place to celebrate completion of the walk and contemplate the highlights of the circuit, of which there will be many. So congratulations, and may your memories outweigh even your expectations of the route, and lead to many more great days in the alps". That about says it all, right?

Self portrait taken in a mirror on the last day



Snow and trail, last day




A lonely alp building, where they tend the cows in the summer, now deserted for the fall-winter season.


Trail through the forest and snow









red berries on a shrub with rock


This guy had a cow as a pet






























This is what I looked like coming down from the mountains after 10 days. Just kidding! This was a mask museum in Martigny the day after, from the famous Lotschental valley.


Here is the finishing picture, taken by the Jardin secretary


And here is my new waistline, Im holding my now long belt after losing part of my pot belly! That is alpine bliss!





5 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful albeit chilly! You missed out on sweltering weather here, but seems to be getting back to near perfect running weather. Just in time for SBIM...

    Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good thing you said "just kidding" after your joke about the beast in the mask, because I really thought that was another self-portrait of you after your climb. Really.

    --Kimber--

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lookin good dad! Im proud of you!
    Love Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. why did mikey say that was from me? Mikey, you know that it says who does the posting right? Also, I never refer to myslef as Kimber anymore. haha.
    Kim

    See you tomorrow dad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's about time you checked out your dad's blog, KIM.

    ReplyDelete